Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

64/365 books

The books that line my shelves are amongst my most treasured reads.  I've had to dispose of many books in my lifetime, mostly due to having to move so many times, or just plain running out of places to move to, and having to stay with someone.  So, books were given away or even thrown away, in hopes tht others would pick some up.
My letter and diaries of Anne Morrow Lindbergh are probably some of my oldest books.  And a book called "Jaimie" a simple fictional novel that I stole from the public library, and read when I was a teenager.  I have no idea what it was about, but I still have it.
All the hard cover copies of Castenada's book, so quick was I to run out and buy him as soon as he was published.
Books have always been a dear part of my life -- taking me away, or teaching me.  I've treasured many a volume.
My "higher self" books remain.  Works by Gurdjieff or Ouspensky, and countless others --- with names like "The Phenomenon of Man".  Books I should maybe read again one day.
The letters of Isadora Duncan, another couple of old books.  For awhile I was addicted to reading letters and diaries.  Such an intimate peek into a life.
I wrote my own book, of course, though it needs revision/rewriting, etc. But it is good to have written a book.  It would be better if it could end up on my shelf one day.



*A free-write is a type of automatic writing, where you just go with your stream of consciousness non-stop. There's no thought to spelling or grammar, and no editing of words. Supposedly this opens the mind up to greater creativity. They can be 5, 10 or 20 minutes long. Suggestions for freewrites are always welcome. Visit Evie, with whom I freewrite, at the space between colors.

3 comments:

  1. free writes and books are wonderful
    i also have gotten rid of many books
    books are treasures

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 23, 2012

    Just the other day I bought "Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, and I have never read any of her writing before, I was just attracted to it! Have you read it? I've heard great things about it and I'm hoping to start it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Carly, that was the first thing I read by her. A delightful book, for sure. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, and spending some time with me... I am truly honored.