Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

48/365 Independence Day

I'm someone who just likes to handle sparklers on the 4th of July.  The bigger things scare me a little (or a lot), and they best be set off by someone at a distance.

In the 1980's, when I was a catering waitress, I did a job on a Brooklyn pier during the Statue of Liberty Bicentennial.  From early moring till after the fireworks show, I worked hard to feed and clean up after people, dishing out hot food from a row or twenty or so firing sternos.
But come the end of the night, I was able to sit on the edge of the pier, and watch the firework display.  The Spanish ships docked beside me on one side o the pier, and the SS Colorado on the other side.  The ships had come in the the celebration.
It was quite a long, but rewarding day.  I remember the pay was good.

Happy 4th of July to all my American friends.


*A free-write is a type of automatic writing, where you just go with your stream of consciousness non-stop. There's no thought to spelling or grammar, and no editing of words. Supposedly this opens the mind up to greater creativity. They can be 5, 10 or 20 minutes long. Suggestions for freewrites are always welcome. Visit Evie, with whom I freewrite, at the space between colors.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barbara, happy 4th. I hope your sparklers sparkle today! So you write; I didn't know. I'm on my way to visit you there

    xo
    kj

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, and spending some time with me... I am truly honored.