Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

53/365 shamanism

Spiraling down into the ground we come upon the underworld, not to be confused with the likes of hell at all, but rather a level on the shamanic journey which usually appears quite pastoral, and can hold sights of many wonders, including your power animal who you will get to know when he reveals himself three or four times, I cannot recall, exactly.  It has been a long time since sitting in a circle with other shamans, and taking those journies.  Sometimes we'd travel to the upperworld.  And here we live in Middle Earth, if you please.
Up on the roof, the group of us would gather, banging the drum, and dancing with rattles.  We were a sight to see and hear, as we'd dance out animals to bring them to life for us.  Some would be cawing like a crow, myself, I'd be howling.
I studied shamanism under the tutelege of Michael Harner, a great white shaman.  He taught us how to journey with the aide of the drum beat, and guided us through many journies of our higher selves.



*A free-write is a type of automatic writing, where you just go with your stream of consciousness non-stop. There's no thought to spelling or grammar, and no editing of words. Supposedly this opens the mind up to greater creativity. They can be 5, 10 or 20 minutes long. Suggestions for freewrites are always welcome. Visit Evie, with whom I freewrite, at the space between colors.

5 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with a little psychoactive substance and some drums to clear out the cobwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drumming is sooo creative and healthy for the spirit ~ love your drum ~ I have an African drum and sometimes do drumming with a group Sunday mornings when it is cooler ~ am feeling better (ate something too rich for stomach) ~ thanks, ^_^ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking drum. I find the drums very meditative.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, and spending some time with me... I am truly honored.