Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

49/365 coney island

This 15 min freewrite* is about Coney Island.

I remember going on surprise trips at midnight with my parents, because they were hungry for hot dogs.  We'd sit in the car and eat, and bring home cotton candy and jelly apples, if we got there at the right time.

In daytime, there'd be times we'd eat by a ledge tht was right by Nathan's. Just wide enough to fit the paper plateful of hot dogs.  I would be me, my sister, and my mom and day.  Such good times.  We'd all get Nathan's famous french fries, and chow mein sandwiches.  My sister and father would often eat clams on the half shell, and frog's legs.  Eeek.
But after all the eating came a chance to walk around, up and down the side streets, where there were games to play and rides to experience.  The Magic Carpet Ride.  The Caterpillar, one of my favorites... the heavy canvas would close around the whole ride, ruffling its pleats, until you were enclosed.  Magically dark on a bright summer's day.
The Wonder Wheel was right off the boardwalk.  My sister was always afraid of that ride, but would come along anyway, because we were all going.  She'd really hate the swinging cages, and I think we'd mostly go on the stationary ones.
And then there's the beach.












*A free-write is a type of automatic writing, where you just go with your stream of consciousness non-stop. There's no thought to spelling or grammar, and no editing of words. Supposedly this opens the mind up to greater creativity. They can be 5, 10 or 20 minutes long. Suggestions for freewrites are always welcome. Visit Evie, with whom I freewrite, at the space between colors.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder why I never took the train out there? *shrug* Here a coney Island is a dog in a steamed bun smothered in chili, mustard and onions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, and spending some time with me... I am truly honored.