Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

12/365 Hand written letters

Today we did our first 20 minute free-write*, with a subject suggest by Yvonne, over at Ink Spillers Attic. Thank you, Yvonne.

The subject is Hand-written Letters

Wandering through Hallmark's Card shop, I come across an array of stationary that I just must have.  Flowers curving along the edges of the paper, and again on the envelopes.  I found pads of distinct design, and sharp contrast to flowers... more abstract with lines tht lead the eys.  All of this to present myself to a mail box.
When I was young it was letters to friends I'd meet on summer vacation.  In my teen years me and my cousin Ed shared many a tome.  And then came a history of letters--my letters to and from Evie, who lived three thousand miles away for eighteen years.  Truly there wasn't a day that went by without going to the yellow legal pad, and writing a note, or pages even, about what was going on in my life, and responses to what was going on in hers. We kept each other apprised of all our movements--from the raging fights with our partners, to how the tiger lilies were growing so large in the garden.  We'd mail each other envelopes
filled as fat as  they could stand.  It tied our friendship with constant communications, waiting to be reunited some day to continue our friendship in peson, as we do today.  But I miss those long endless pages, filled with the day's events.  Our lives were rich with activity, so unlike today.  We still keep a geat deal of these letters stashed aways in cardboard boxes.
Letters also brought me into the realms of deep friendship, and love.  I wrote to Jim as much as I wrote to Evie, practically, and we had a prolific exchange of words worthy of publication, I think.  He says that I shined my brightest in those letters, and indeed I was a consumate letter writer.
Soon Evie and I will go through some old letter; ones from each other, and others from admired professors we had in college.  We'll be taken back on the wings of lovely stationary, or plain lined paper, and countless yellow legal pads.

***********************************************************************************

*A free-write is a type of automatic writing, where you just go with your stream of consciousness non-stop. There's no thought to spelling or grammar, and no editing of words. Supposedly this opens the mind up to greater creativity. They can be 5, 10 or 20 minutes long. Visit Evie, whom I freewrite with, at the space between colors.

1 comment:

  1. You are welcome, I'm happy your could use that suggestion. I love long hand written letters and used to write many, but it's becoming a thing of the past. Your free write was a very enjoyable read. I must try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, and spending some time with me... I am truly honored.