Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

41/365 masks

I joined a swap once, run by Sarajane Helm, to make ten miniature (2"x3"max) masks out of polymer clay, and in turn I would receive ten different masks back (including one of my own).  I did this swap twice.  I loved the masks I made, but never had a chance to take pictures of them.  Each was the same theme, but designs and colors differed.  I have the two I received back from each swap, and I'll put pictures below.

My own masks -- ones I wear for people, is almost always an "I'm okay" kind of mask, when under it, I'm maybe not feeling that okay at all.
I'm not too sure what masks other people wear.  Maybe I don't know a lot of people who wear masks, really.

Tribal masks -- so many different kinds and cultures.  Masks showing fierceness perhaps, or identifyng someone as chief.

Evie has this book from the Metropolitan Museum of Art -- she uses it to lean on when freewriting --
it's a book on masks, and I wish I could look at it right now to find some inspiration.



*A free-write is a type of automatic writing, where you just go with your stream of consciousness non-stop. There's no thought to spelling or grammar, and no editing of words. Supposedly this opens the mind up to greater creativity. They can be 5, 10 or 20 minutes long. Suggestions for freewrites are always welcome. Visit Evie, with whom I freewrite, at the space between colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog, and spending some time with me... I am truly honored.