Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

19/365 scent

Today's 10 minute free-write* is on Scent.
The scent of my mother's lipstick, and her loose face powder, when I was a little girl.  The Emeraude cologne she has worn forever.  These are the scents of my mother.
Everyone has a scent -- a body signature.  Something only theirs.  Sometimes it is a store bought fragrance, but even that smells differently on each person once it mixes with one's personal scent.
The scent of lemons and grapefruit invigorates me.  Ocean scents take me away, as does the scents of sage and cedar and sweetgrass.
I hve worn enticing scents, like Cinnabar.  Sensual spices.  Something you'd remember.  It is good to leave a note behind when you want to be remembered.
Sometimes I can smell my father on the air-- the way he smelled after baking all day -- a beautiful mix of sweat and buttercreme, raspberry fillings, sugar and coconut.  It lets me know he's watching over me.




*A free-write is a type of automatic writing, where you just go with your stream of consciousness non-stop. There's no thought to spelling or grammar, and no editing of words. Supposedly this opens the mind up to greater creativity. They can be 5, 10 or 20 minutes long. Visit Evie, whom I freewrite with, at the space between colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog, and spending some time with me... I am truly honored.