Pages

Monday, August 15, 2016

Book Review: Understanding Exposure (How to shoot great photographs with any camera) by Brian Peterson, 4th edition



Having been a photographer for over 35 years, I am pretty familiar with the Exposure Triangle, and how to use it, but it is always good to have a nice reference book at hand to inspire and encourage me to use my knowledge more effectively.
I enjoy all the varied photographs showing the same subject at different exposures, and how this can greatly effect the outcome.
I very much enjoyed the section on Light.  It included:  the best light, frontlight, overcast frontlight, sidelight, and backlight.  Again, giving good examples of each.  
Also, the section on shutter speed, giving good examples and techniques for freezing motion, and implying motion.
I have never been one for using filters, but recently acquired some polarizing and neutral density filters, so the Special Techniques section, outlining these exact filters, was quite welcome.
Despite my many years of photography, I have never quite mastered the art of using electronic flash.  There's a very comprehensive section on this, and I will no doubt refer to it many times in my quest for understanding it.
This is a good photography reference tool for beginners and advanced photographers as well.
For more information, click on these links:  
I received this book from Blogging for Books in return for publishing an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Barb, you make me think I should perhaps have a camer--naw, made it this far without one. I think it falls into the category of old dogs never changing and I have enough clutter that sounded like a good idea at the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, and spending some time with me... I am truly honored.